Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Race Day 3 Post 2


Arthur Puckrin of England on the left and Michelle Santilhano on the right

Michelle Santilhano had a chat with me late last night. She has thoughts of putting a Quadruple race on either in south Africa (her birth place) or the San Francisco CA area (where she lives now) and would like my help with it. So there is some talking to do in the future as I have been having those same thoughts. We will see what comes out of it.

Speaking of team support and support crew duties - here is Petra Martens attending to Kari's feet while on the bike.


Speaking of chatting, also had a chat with Petra earlier. She is the wife of Kari Martens of Sweden. Their son Oliwer (spelled Oliver) is also with them and helping to crew. They spent two weeks in Cancun before coming here. Anyway – she (and he had earlier in the week) mentioned to me they will be coming to Virginia next year for the Double and will be bringing another friend of Sweden with them. We haven’t had a Swede race with us yet. That will be good. They are very nice, outgoing people. He is doing well, currently in second place.

Carlos Ochoa of Spain on the left and Beto Villa of Mexico on the right.

I noticed it earlier – technology is everywhere. There is a fourth computer now for support and racers to use. There are at least seven or eight more laptops hanging around that people have brought. Thank goodness that Jorge has a wireless Internet hooked up. Speaking of the technology thing – I noticed Gloramis (support crew for Carlos Ochoa of Spain) answering her cell phone and not a minute later as Karl, who is crewing for Yves Beauchamp, handing off some supplies to him and answering his cell phone at the same time. Technology.

Harn Wei's ancient radio.

I mentioned this to Rick Freeman, who is crewing for Wayne Kurtz and he asked if I had see Harn Wei’s technological music player. Here is a guy with a PhD from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and I believe it is in Computer Sciences and look at the masterpiece he carries on the bike. It doesn’t even have headphones. He puts it in his back pouch of his jersey and listens to it thru the external speakers.

We got a visit by the Monster truck this morning. They are the Energy Drink and one of the local reps is Jorge’s son – Farid. He walked around handing out ice cold Monster drinks – tasty stuff.







I got scolded twice by Michelle about missing important events. The first was late this morning and she came in telling me “Steve – your missing it. You need to get down there and get a photo of it, your missing it on the course. I enquired what was going on, she pointed out down the road about a quarter mile away and I could see them huddles together. It was the love birds Marcel Henig and Elke Streicher of Germany. They were down there in some deep smooching. And a couple hours later, and just about 30 feet to my left I guess they were having another tender kissy face moment and Michelle was once again telling me I’m missing it. Well I can’t be everywhere at once.

I will close the second post out with a happy note for two individuals. Wayne Kurtz of Pennsylvania has finished the bike segment of the Quintuple in a time of 60 hours and 32 minutes and Andreas Buscher of Germany finished in 60 hours and 48 minutes. Wayne is on the course and Andreas is currently changing and getting ready to run Wayne down or he hopes to. We will see.

Wayne Kurtz on the left and Andreas Buscher on the right

4 comments:

Doonie said...

Hi Steve! I'm one of Pete Lefferts' sisters and I just want to sincerely thank you for this blog and for helping Pete out along the way. It is truly an amazing event with some really amazing people and I am grateful to be able to follow it here. PS. Next time you see Pete, could you tell him Doonie says hi? He'll know who it is! Thanks so much!
Nancy

Club Triatló Granollers said...

Hi Steve!

Thanks for this great blog.
Just one thing, the name of the spanish runner its Carlos Ochoa.

Please, keep us on the race!

Thanks!

Manfred Zöllner said...

hi steve,

thanks for the blog !!!!!!!!
its great !

best regards to all
manfred from the austrian double

Kirb said...

Hey Doonie - no problem. I just stopped him and read him your note. even in his sleep deprived/ass worn out from being on the seat so much state, he had some kind words to say about you.

Hey Club Triatló Granollers - sorry about the misspelling - I took it off the sheet Jorge had for me. I have corrected his name already.

Hey Manfred - I will tell all these guys you said hello.

Cheers